The Maltings is a “mixed-use” venue, presenting both live work (theatre, dance, music, comedy, etc.), films & event cinema broadcasts, classes, and visual arts exhibitions.
The Maltings’ building contains:
• The Main House Theatre (a proscenium arch theatre with raked stalls, circle and boxes, seating 300)
• The Henry Travers Studio (a black box space with retractable seating for approximately 70)
• The Stage Door Bar (a bohemian-style theatre bar)
• The Maltings Kitchen restaurant run independently by David & Lesley Foxton
• Offices of the Berwick Film & Media Arts Festival
• Meeting rooms
Many of our spaces are available for hire. Click here for more information.
Off-site facilities include two galleries in the town: the Granary Gallery (located within the recently refurbished Berwick YHA building) and the Gymnasium Gallery, run by Berwick Visual Arts.
The Maltings currently presents over 200 live events annually. Additionally, it is one of the North East’s leading independent cinemas, screening around 200 film titles per year. The theatre’s 35mm cinema projection system underwent a digital conversion in February 2013, allowing the presentation of an entirely new area of programming, “event cinema” broadcasts of live performances by some of the greatest artistic companies in the world.
The Maltings is currently funded by Northumberland County Council and Arts Council England.
The Maltings (Berwick) Trust (Registered Charity No. 701194 trading as The Maltings Theatre & Cinema and Berwick Visual Arts) is located in Berwick-upon-Tweed, Northumberland.